In less than two months’ time, the UK will leave the EU’s Single Market and Customs Union when the transition period ends on 31 December 2020. From 1 January 2021, the ‘Northern Ireland Protocol’ will take effect, at which point customs declarations as well as safety and security declarations will be needed for goods moving from GB to NI to ensure:
- tariffs are not paid on trade within the UK
- Northern Ireland can benefit from UK Free Trade Agreements
- goods destined for Ireland (ie the EU) pay tariffs when they should.
If you move goods from GB to NI, then TSS will help ensure that smooth flow of goods continues. It’s important that you act now, joining thousands of companies that have already registered.
By registering for TSS, you will be guided through all these changes – all for free:
- The TSS can complete declarations on your behalf, as well as safety and security declarations, if you choose
- You can attend free short training courses on key new processes that come into effect from 1 January 2021
- Access to the TSS contact centre for help with any registration queries and for support in making declarations
- Help with obtaining an XI-prefixed EORI number (required for moving goods between GB:NI from 1 January 2021): If you have not signed up before 23 November 2020, you may have to make a separate application for an XI EORI. You can find out more about EORI numbers at gov.uk/eori
Once again, we ask you to register for the TSS here to help ensure that trade continues to operate seamlessly post-transition.